One of our awesome PowerFull Fitness moms gets pretty ResourceFULL during her summer break with kiddos. I thought this was too good to keep secret so here are some tips she shared with our PF members.
Summer Staycation- Fun for Procrastinators
I am a full-time attorney with two kids, and I am also procrastinator. While I have friends who plan their summer in February, I always plan my summers late because I’m really busy and it is so daunting to schedule it all. I normally schedule a week in California to be with my family, and then try to take it easy and have a Summer Staycation. The DMV area is full of fun free festivals and events, take advantage of it all!
1) Camps- There are still lots of camps available at this late date:
- Vacation Bible Camps – Here is a link to look up some if you area!
- Fairfax Recreation has a ton of great and available camps at nearby schools: Rec Pac- Only $120 a week! 8:30am-3:30 pm. Check out the sessions here!
- Parktakes- Fairfax County still has openings for camps of all types, half day and full day. They have before care (start at 7am or 8am) and after care (4-6pm). The cost ranges around $200-$400 a week. My kids have taken Junior Rocs, Basketball Camp, Girls Games Camp, Circus Camp, Puppet Camp, etc. My friend even offers Ninja Warrior Camp through Parktakes. Check out some options here!
2) My husband subscribes to e-mails of events, and adds them to the calendar on weekends as options for fun. I also check these out to go on my days off. We have gone to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, strawberry festivals, food truck events, outdoor movie nights, etc.
Some of the ones you can check out:
- Our Kids- A fantastic and free weekly e-mail of kids events in DC, VA, and MD. It used to be a paid subscription. They list so many kids’ events and festivals in the area!!
- Joy Troupe- Free! A local mom makes this great list and website full of resources.
I like her lists of Outdoor Areas, Playgrounds, Birthday party locations, etc.
- Here’s another fun site with information about spray parks, pools, water parks, concerts, festivals & outdoor movies!
3) We often bring our kids to places we want to go- a brewery or a winery. I bring a picnic basket full of snacks, and enjoy an afternoon while the kids run around.
- Fair Winds has food trucks!
- Vanish Beer has flavored beers + great for relaxing!
- Paradise Springs Winery has great space for running around.
- Other options to check out Potomac Winery with a kids room with toys, Barrel Oak is dog friendly, and Stone Tower Winery has a space outside for kids to run around.
4) Finally, check out some local food markets and food factory tours.
- For a potato chip factory tour check this out!
- For all you need to know about ice cream check this out!
- Pretzels? Check out this tour
- And if you are going on a road trip and want to see if you pass any food factories, use this link to check out food tours in every state.